Launching your website
Once the development of your website has done, launching is the final step to make your website available to the users. In this tutorial, you will discover:
- What is publishing, deployment, and hosting?
- Launching requirements.
- Cost range (in 2022).
What is publishing, deployment, and hosting?
Publishing, deployment, and hosting are 3 steps to make a website available, respectively.
- Publishing: The process of compiling your website into files that are executable by the host machine's OS (Windows, Linux).
- Deployment: The process of bringing/copy the published files into the host machine.
- Hosting: The process of setting up the host machine and make it available to the internet.
For some hosting methods, you will see some steps are merged together. For example, if you host your website by Azure App Service, you will only see the publishing process and the rest are taken care by Azure and Visual Studio.
When launching a website, you will need the following services:
- Domain: Your website address. You can use the subdomain if you already have a domain. For example: blazorschool.com, mail.google.com.
- Hosting Machine: A machine to execute business logic in your website. For example: Virtual Machine, Azure App Service, Azure Functions.
There are some additional services which are optional to provide useful features to your website:
- Database Storage: Provide and manage website data. For example: Azure SQL Database, Azure Cosmos DB, Virtual Machine.
- SSL: Make your domain secure and trusted.
Cost range (in 2022)
To keep your website running, you will need to pay for services each month. The cost range to host a website starts from a few USD to a thousand USD for a dynamic website.